Wednesday, April 25, 2012

I Built A Garden

Crystel and I have really grown to appreciate local produce over the last few years. We'll take farmer's market veggies any day over the supermarket variety. We usually get lots of food from my mom's garden in Mississippi, but since we only see them around once a month, it's hard to keep regularly stocked.

We made the decision last year that we should build an urban, above-ground garden. However, we never got around to building it. The perfect weather this spring inspired us to follow through with our garden.

I decided to build 2 raised beds, each 4' x 4'. I figure this will give us plenty of room to grow what we need, and make it easy to access the garden from all sides.

Here's a photo timeline of the building process.









At a co-worker's suggestion, I put chicken wire on the bottom to keep chipmunks from burrowing into the garden from the bottom.











Photo-bombed by Porter...

Crystel and I are planning on shopping for plants next weekend. I'm not 100% sure what we'll be planting yet, but I know we'll have tomatoes and bell peppers. I'm taking any and all suggestions for veggies that grow well in a raised bed.

Have you ever grown an urban garden? Was it successful? Can you offer any tips?

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment